Requirements for H-1B Visa Status for Physicians , Foreign Medical Graduates (FMG and IMGs)
Foreign medical graduates may use an H-1B visa for residency training and/or to practice medicine upon completion of residency training. In order to qualify for an H-1B visa, the physician must:
- Possess a degree in medicine;
- Possess an unrestricted license to practice medicine in a foreign state;
- Pass the Federal Licensing Examination (FLEX I and II) or the USMLE Steps I, II and III;
- Demonstrate competence in oral and written English by successfully completing the English language proficiency exam given by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and
- Such candidates must also possess an unrestricted license or other authorization to practice medicine in the state of intended employment in the United States.